Meem saakinah has three rules:
- Al-ikhfa’ ash-shafawi
2- Al-idgham ash-shafawi
- Al-ith-har ash-shafawi
- The first rule: Al-ikhfa’ ash-shafawi
- Try to apply these steps to pronounce al-ikhfa’ ash-shafawi perfectly:
- The letter meem saakinah م must be followed by letter baa ب.
- Meem saakinah مbegins to be pronounced from the two lips and then reaching baa ب in a clear pronunciation.
- Al-ikhfa’ ash-shafawi is found with ghunnah
- Thus producing al-ikhfa’ ash-shafawi sound.
- The second rule: Al-idgham ash-shafawi
- Try to apply these steps to pronounce al-idgham ash-shafawi perfectly:
- The letter meem saakinah م must be followed by another meem م (meem with tashkeel).
- Merge meem saakinahم into another meem which is followed it.
- Pronounce meem saakinah م with lengthened ghunnah.
- Thus producing al-idgham ash-shafawi sound.
- The rest of the letters will be followed by meem saakinah م.
- Pronounce meem saakinah م clearly without ghunnah.
- Thus producing al-ith-har ash-shafawi sound.
The reader should not hide meem saakinah when it is followed by waw (و)or faa’ (ف) because meem and waw share the same makhraj and makhraj of meem is near from makhraj of faa’.